Spice Rubbed Chipotle Marinated Skirt Steak with Avocado Corn Relish (Serves 4)
Pairs great with a berry forward California Zinfandel
- One 1 ½ -2 pound skirt steak, about 3/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 canned chipotle in adobo, plus 2 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 2 TBSP roasted garlic puree
- 4 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Hass avocados, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels (from 1 ear of corn)
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 2 TBSP fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 TBSP Ancho chili Pd
- 1 TBSP Kosher salt
- 1 tsp Oregano
- ½ tsp White pepper
- ½ tsp Cumin
- Olive oil
In a small bowl combine the dry rub ingredients. Brush steak with olive oil and coat with dry rub. Wrap and refrigerate 3-4 hours.
In a blender, combine the orange juice with the chipotle, adobo, garlic and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and puree until smooth. Place the steak in a large dish, pour the marinade over and refrigerate 5-6 hours.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, gently mix the avocados with the corn, red onion, jalapeño, lime juice and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Light your grill or heat a grill pan over medium high heat. Remove the steak from the marinade, letting the excess drip back into the pan; do not wipe off the marinade. Season the steak with salt and pepper. Grill the steak over moderately high heat, turning once, about 6 minutes on each side for medium. Transfer the steak to a cutting board, cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the steak across the grain and serve with the avocado-corn relish and your favorite potato.