Black Bean Burgers
Pairs great with a rich stout beer
- 2 (14 ounce) cans black beans, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
- 2 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper (1/2 of a pepper)
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion (1/2 of a large onion)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 Tablespoon)
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs or oat flour
- 1/2 cup feta cheese (skip if vegan or add crumbled vegan cheese)
- 2 large eggs (for vegan substitute 1/3 cup mashed sweet potato)
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- 2 Tablespoon BBQ sauce
- salt + pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 325°F (163°C). Spread beans evenly onto a lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes until slightly dried out.
Meanwhile, sauté olive oil, chopped pepper, onion, and garlic over medium heat until peppers and onions are soft, about 5-6 minutes. Place in a large bowl or in a food processor with the remaining ingredients (cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, bread crumbs, cheese, eggs, ketchup, BBQ sauce, salt, and pepper. Stir or pulse everything together, then add the black beans. Mash with a fork or pulse the mixture, leaving some larger chunks of beans.
Form into patties– about 1/3-1/2 cup of mixture in each for 6-7 patties.
To grill: Place patties on greased aluminum foil and grill 5-6 minutes on each side. Heat temperature is personal preference as all grills differ. A cast iron pan with a little olive oil over med-high heat works great as well.
Serve with your favorite toppings- I used lettuce, red onion, and chunky avocado mayo. I also served it with fresh corn fritters!