Sesame Crusted Seared Tuna with Arugula and Avocado Salad and Miso Vinaigrette
Suggested Pairing: California Pinot Noir
- 2 tablespoons red miso paste
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced scallions
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 Ahi tuna fillets (4-6oz ea.)
- ¼ cup black and white sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 avocados, halved, pitted, and peeled
- 4-6 handfuls arugula, spring mix blend
To make the miso vinaigrette, whisk the miso, vinegar, honey, sesame oil, scallions, ginger, with the ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
In another small bowl, combine the sesame seeds with the 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Coat both sides of the tuna with the sesame seed mixture, pressing gently to adhere.
Heat the oil in a medium, heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat until it is very hot, but not smoking. Sear the tuna for 1 minute on each side for rare, 2 minutes on each side for medium rare. Transfer the tuna to a cutting board and let it rest for at least 5 minutes.
Slice the tuna across the grain into ½ inch strips.
Slice each avocado half lengthwise into 5 equal wedges.
In a large bowl, toss the greens with desired amount of miso vinaigrette and divide among 4 plates.
Arrange the avocado and tuna slices on top, and then serve.